Saturday, December 27, 2008

Japan trip reflections

Now that I have fully recovered from the trip, I look back fondly at the enjoyable time spent in Japan. One of the things I miss is the camaraderie of friendships forged between my travel mates and I. I miss the joviality along with the amusement generated by my roommate, Joseph, through his positive attitude and sense of humour. Another thing I miss is the companionship and gung-ho spirit.

The weekly series, Japan Hour, is a favourite of mine. It shows various scenic locations and little-known interesting nuggets of things the locals do. Many a times, I would drool over the exquisitely presented dishes. At last I got to really taste and smell these delectable delicacies. Believe me, the dishes taste as good as they appear.

The dishes of Japan are delicately flavoured and less salty as compared to Singapore. The local ingredients are prepared in a much healthier manner compared to Singaporean dishes. The Japanese use healthy methods of cooking. They seldom use methods such as deep-frying. After this trip, my palate has changed to healthier dishes which are cooked with less oil and salt. Now my preference has shifted to the healthier alternative of steamed salmon over old favourites such as fish and chips.

The scenic sights in Japan were a feast for the eyes compared to the concrete jungle of Singapore. The flora and fauna in Japan are unique. Unlike Singapore, their national flower, the cherry blossom, is visible throughout Japan. Why can't Singapore have that too?

There is palpable difference between the schools in the rural and urban areas. In the rural areas, the students are more outgoing and were very enthusiastic in welcoming us. We could feel the warmth of their friendship. Unfortunately for them, they lagged behind their urban counterparts where their studies are concerned. The students in the urban areas seemed rather jaded. I am sure that in Singapore we face different stress levels in different schools. Will students in less stressful environments have a warmer personality?

After a week of uttering words like "Arigato gozaimasu" and "Konnichiwa", I have unconsciously used them in my daily speech upon returning. This trip has also sparked my interest in the Japanese language. Once in a while, I turn to the residential Japanese experts, namely my father and sister, for clarification on certain Japanese words.

No comments: